Sunday, January 27, 2008

Software Engineering

Software Development is kind of weird job. The most interesting it is never ending job. No requirement is final; nothing is vital; easy going pretty mundane job, variation less life. It is my third year in professional software development. Interestingly I found very few new things in my little career.

I am working on a product from last year. I work for Blue Cielo ECM solutions. What I am doing? The early face of the product was very interesting because we build it from the scratch. After that I am enhancing that one. There is a very specific framework and I don’t have to think for any kind of enhancement. I am just doing because I have to, because I am supposed to. It seems like an eternal project that never ends.

Sometime I feel every software company should have two set of teams, one team build the software from scratch and other will take over after a certain time and do the further enhancement. This is very frustrating to work in single product for a long time.

From my experience very few percent of time in software development is interesting, rest of the part are too boring. Anyway, if you are a software engineer then you know all these very well. Not much challenge exists in software engineering. Sometime I feel this is a profession for dead(!) man who need no charm, who are afraid to take new challenges.

My organization is not big enough but I don’t think that scenario is different in large organization like Google or Microsoft. I am very young guy, I start my career. This is my high time to take new challenge, new risk but don’t get any. Young guys in software engineering ask yourselves, are you taking that much challenges to your limit? Are pushing yourselves to the limit? If you never push yourself to the limit then how could you know your limit? If you don’t know your limit then you never know yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, no abusive word, no spam.