Friday, November 2, 2012

Diversity!

This time I have witness the battle between between Android and iOS; I have heard a lot about the battle between Windows and Mac during 80's. I didn't even witness the reminiscence of the battle. My introduction to the computer was actually way after the battle, in fact way after the battle when all the mess were cleaned up. My first introduction to the computer was windows 3.1. After that when I first saw Windows 95, it was huge blow! Windows 95 was a super cool an super easy. I have grown up listening the story that the tiny piece of thing next my computer is actually invented by some other company and then Windows copied it. I don't know the truth, but I know for one thing for sure, if there was no windows, there would be no computer at my home and there would be no Chronicle of Mundane Life today.  

I don't know what Mac did at that time, but Windows did it so right that it reached every corner of this world. As I grew older I learned there is another kind of computer with linux, they are even cooler but they are hard to work with. They are for what call experts. I have played smart for quite some time in early days :P Then I learned there is another kind of computer even cooler and different from what I have seen so far. It was the revival of Mac. When I was first introduced to Mac, I was thinking it is quite similar to Linux. But they are not intended for so called experts! They are for regular people. I had the idea about how difficult it is to change the hardware in Linux system in early days. Wow! that problem does not exist for Mac at all! Superb! why because they don't support very many hardwares, they are designed for fixed set of things! Ooops! That's interesting! The whole idea of Mac is software can be hardware agnostic! Ouch! That's okay, there are still people in this world who believes Autocracy is the right government; we also see genetically coded animals roaming in this world.

But then in late 2000's the battle between smartphone OS had began. Well lot of people in early days predicted that it is gonna be another 80's war, and surely it is. But many people went far enough to declare the winner. Now in post Jobs era we see they were right, but this time it took less than five years. Interesting! I was thinking exactly what made Android so popular leaving iOS far behind? It is really hard to tell, then I was watching Malcolm Gladwell's TED lecture the other day and it struck into my head, may be there is no right thing for everyone. Why? that is big question; I guess partly because human brain develops beyond the womb and very little part of it actually comes with genetic coded! And that's why there is such a huge diversity among people in the same species. Other than human being two different samples of same species from two different parts of the world would almost behave same. But human is the only exception.

That makes me thinking if Apple makes product for anything else other than human they might actually see great success, because the design of the other animals follows the same philosophy as Apple does. They simply don't understand the beauty of diversity. I don't get it why? There is no wonder America is the greatest country in the world, it the most country in the world as. Every American brought a small piece of their own culture and ideas and together they are more robust than anything else. Diversity does not make something weak, it makes the thing robust. I feel pity when Apple claims something robust; I don't think they know what robust mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, no abusive word, no spam.