Thursday, September 18, 2008

Life of a Graduate Student

I am kind of stuck with a paper titled, “Spatio-Temporal Association Rule Mining Framework for Estimating Missing Data in Sensor Networks and Analyzing Trend Evolution of Co-evolving Multidimensional Data Streams”. This is based on estimating missing value in sensor network. The approach is called MASTER. I have been reading this paper for last few days. And I am totally helpless. I have already tried with few different ways. I don’t think the topic is difficult. And the whole idea is not too complicated. But still I am helpless to handle it.

In my opinion the organization or the language of this is paper is such that you will lost after couple of paragraph. I guess this is what makes it difficult to understand. I have to build a presentation on this paper. I don’t know what to do? Usually, I have a group meeting and an individual meeting with Dr. Gruenwald every week. In the group meeting I have to present what I did in last week and what is my plan for the next week. :D I wish if I had any!!!

My TA job is going fine. I grade the first homework and still no complain. Little bit pressure is waiting for the future. I hope it will be okie. Dr. Dong is very kind to me. He tries to make most of the things done by himself. And right now, I am preparing myself and my system for the next homework.

And I should read my course work but I am not reading. I have submitted couple of home works and I read what was required to solve them. I think I should read more. I am planning to read in this week-end. I don’t know somehow I can’t manage much time for myself. However, I think everything will be fine very soon. Maybe that day does not exist still I love to dream of that day.

5 comments:

  1. I found a link, consisting of advices for graduate students. Have a look at this link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you try to find ppt slides for this paper? sometimes it is easier to try to follow the slides then understand the paper.

    also if the paper is not too old you can use this site to search for a video related to the topic. (try google video also)

    http://videolectures.net/

    another thing also is to try to see the papers that are citing this paper, and check what they say about it. (But don't trust them all, and have your own judgment)

    Hope this will help you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your suggestions. I think I am in better position today. Serendipitously, I crack down most of the parts today. Today, I had started simulating the whole thing by hand and slowly everything starts making sense to me. :D
    Wish me good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a good news...

    Hope you best of luck...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today I have completed reading a book on IIM. I hardly understand any line of this book. I think all such author are not worthy of more then 1.5 in GRE analytical writing exam!

    ReplyDelete

Please, no abusive word, no spam.