Saturday, July 25, 2009

Smoking

It was barely in my adolescence when I smoked for the first time. It was kind of exploring something new, something proscribed something different. It was kind of teenage appeal. I didn’t continue smoking at that time. It was random, fun and secret kind of thing. I lost interest of that fun very quickly and after that I never smoke until my college.

When I was in college I used to smoke occasionally but not too often. I was sort of regular smoker since my university life. My regular smoking started with John Player’s Gold Leaf. It was forty bucks at that time (two bucks per stick). It was hard to smoke Gold Leaf because it was a bit harsh. I used to smoke a lot at that time; around one to two packs a day. I used to torture my body at that time quite a lot so it got weak and I couldn’t stand it anymore. By the time, they had increased the price of Gold Leaf, so I had decided to switch to Benson & Hedges. It was very light compare to Gold Leaf. I was trying to be use to with the new brand. I used to smoke Benson & Hedges till I come to United States. That was a pretty long time.

Cigarettes are not that much available here and everyone needs a valid form of government ID card to confirm the age to buy cigarettes. It was kind of difficult for me to carry an ID with me all the time. So, I could not buy it all the time. After trying couple of brands I have started smoking Marlboro Light since I came here. But I used to start losing interest on cigarettes before coming here and unavailability intense the whole thing a little bit. After few months of regular smoking here, once again I become an occasional smoker.

Sometimes, it is really hard to stand the life here. On those days, I need cigarettes. I need cigarettes when I feel bad. I need cigarettes when I miss my friends. I need cigarettes when I think of my old days. I never try to quit smoking because of my health; personally I am not a big fan of the idea “living more by quitting life” but I don't want to kill the other people either.

1 comment:

  1. u run away from present but u think about ur past. u like to live in past bcoz they r gone. u cann't have it back... it gives u a feeling of sadness n u enjoy it. May b I'm totally wrong.....I just thought u might think about it.....

    ReplyDelete

Please, no abusive word, no spam.