Saturday, January 31, 2009

African-Americans and South-Asians

Racism is one of the effective terms in modern business world. In my sense, racism is everlasting thing because business people never let it go. This is a very effective thing for business, how could they let it go, they will foster it. I heard from a sociality major girl, racism is not all about majority and minority; it is about how much power you possess. As far I am concern, I am not a kind of racist. How could I be a racist when I don’t have any power at all… hahaha…

When I came to united states, a few of my older mates suggested: if you need a help, ask a white not black; I don’t why? Few South-Asian in school suggested, try to avoid black, I have no idea why? Two or three Bangladeshi guys are robbed here. They say, “Blacks are the robbers”. It is true they are robbed by black people but they have two white with them. Those Bangladesh guys completely forget the whites but they still possess hatred for blacks, I have no idea why? I can say thousands more examples of that. So far, what I feel is: there is a very bitter relation between Blacks and South-Asians. It is hard to describe why?

For some reason, South-Asians can’t tolerate Blacks. But I don’t have the idea about what the other party thinks. I have met couple black people here and they are very, very nice to me but I don’t know the mass opinion. But in a very vague term, Black people seems very cool to me. They are least bothered what other people think about them. I feeling is they are least bothered about South-Asians. I am just curious why South-Asians posses such feelings about Blacks.

4 comments:

  1. Haha... You knew it even when you were in Bangladesh dont you..?!!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to stretch the point that it is not about minority or majority, it is about power relation. The subversion of the blacks is a must element for the continuum of white domination. This subversion is maintained thoroughly through discourses. The creation of stereotype is a major aim of subtle discursive politics. And this stereotyped representation creates the sentiments in people's psyche make people some group of people and hate others. This is a very complex process and involve many other thing. For example in any literature or film or any discursive form have you seen any black angel or white devil or male witch. Mark that the black is powerless, female is powerless where white is powerful, male powerful. This way through discourse the hierarchy is constructed and maintained. Your mind is shaped to conform to this structure, accept it and be a part of it. Consider the image of "black" and "white" in your mind. Can you find the contrast and probably you understand why people readily accepts any bad notion associated with "black". This is what you are taught to do.

    I am drawing some reference which you can check out later: Hegemony, Discourse( Foucault), Binarism, Power(Foucault),Subaltern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Race war is something never gonna stop, maybe change its facets but not gonna stop unless and until we got something else, maybe extraterrestrial creature. Because some people need it for their business and they are the most powerful ones. To me, the whole thing you were talking about is just a continuation of old silly things. Yes, you are right; I have no doubt about that but that story is already old enough my friend. See the flip side of the coin in this video. Does it have any message? What is that?

    ReplyDelete

Please, no abusive word, no spam.