Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Trust is a funny thing

I saw a line in one of my classmate’s status message yesterday. It was, “Trust is a funny thing”. Well maybe, maybe no. I don’t wanna classify it into any category.

Today an interesting thing happened. One of my lab-mate and me were suppose to meet our boss. I went to my lab early in the morning. My lab-mate was saying like our meeting time is one pm. But I was confused and I was suggesting that it should be twelve pm. After some time at eleven am our boss asked us why we had not been showed up in her office yet. Then my lab-mate replied, “Shiblee thinks we are not supposed to meet till twelve.” To me it was okay. I am not worried about it because it is true. But what bothers me most is people don’t understand the meaning of group or working in a group. People don’t understand the meaning of “we”.

We worked in group in Bangladesh. My group-mates were like my brothers. Well you can argue, it was possible because they were my friends too. But they were my friends because they knew the meaning of “we”. “We” is a big word. At this point I want to add something, the word “friend” as we see it in Bangladesh is not same here.

I know this is a small thing but still it reflects very well what could happen in a tough situation. I learn one thing do not trust anyone, at least not in America. Trust is a funny thing here.

5 comments:

  1. It's not sth 2 b "learnt"..it was supposed to be known!

    ReplyDelete
  2. veryy true!!!!!! some people call me i am an American!!! i am actually thinking...hmmm....hasib bhaia bolen to ghotona ta ki hoilo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you came here with many dire warnings from your family and friends back home. We have the whole, "Ugly American" reputation. I personally try very hard not to fit that description. I'm sure that many times I have failed you by not understanding your culture, but I was hoping you would see me and my family as friends who honestly care.
    Truly there is not a single "dot" on the globe that hasn't been tarnished by evil, hurtful, people. Trust is something that grows with relationship. We are instinctively drawn to gentle, trust-WORTHY people. Those people live HERE as well as in Bangladesh.
    "People are strange when you're a stranger,
    people look ugly when you're alone..."
    (Jim Morrison, The Doors)
    I don't trust easily either. Reaching out to international students is WAY OUTSIDE my comfort zone. Usually I would rather sit in my house with my books and my flavored coffees and leave people to themselves, but my husband, Ron, won't let me. That's a good thing ... it's very healthy to reach out and be a friend.
    Many times I have been hurt after I dared to trust someone. That's just the nature of humanity. there is only ONE, WHO is beyond humanity; yet HE took the form of a human to reach out to us...only HE can be trusted. HE is the only ONE who loves perfectly. The Word says, "HE is a FRIEND that sticks closer than a brother."

    ReplyDelete
  4. “Trust” has nothing to do with American or Bangladeshi. “Do not trust an American” is completely different from “Do not trust anybody in America”. At least in America these two phrases are completely different. I believe I have met more alien than resident here in Norman. I believe my phrase had nothing to do with American. My phrase would be more appropriate if I say “No more trust”. In my view, every country has smart and ugly people but the number varies. It is not that a Bangladeshi guy is more trustable than an American, he could be worse. But I could judge him more precisely than an American or people from other countries. Because I know their patterns, I know their lifestyles, I know them very well.
    Americans are not ugly. They are just different. I am sure they have more variation than any other countries in the world. It is always difficult to handle variations than stereotype. The more you handle variation the more you become suspicious; this is just a basic human nature. If I stay at home and only deal with my mom and dad only, then I would never know what distrust is. The more I deal the more I will learn.
    I could do the same thing as you said mom. So far what have I realized is, I can live here without meeting a single American. But I had decided to meet people, people from all over the world. I like to make friends; I like to share my thoughts. That’s the whole point of it. I want to know the whole world.
    By the way, the guy I mentioned in my post was not American :) And you are cool mom and I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shiblee - My brilliant and permanently tanned son, I love you too!

    ReplyDelete

Please, no abusive word, no spam.