Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Google Drive

Google has been kind enough to invite me to use Google Drive this week. At first glance the service looks interesting and I know this service is useful. I have been using Dropbox from their very beginning. So the service is not entirely new to me. Google drive is pretty much identical to Dropbox except Google drive supports partial synchronization while Dropbox does not. It means Google Drive can synchronized a different set of folders in different computers; which is kind of cool because, now I can synchronize my personal files in my laptops and home computers while my works are synchronized in different work stations in my lab. On the top of that I have been paying Google for storage for last couple of years and I can use them up in Google drive as well. So I have plenty of incentives to move to Google Drive from Dropbox.

However, it becomes uncomfortably difficult to trust Google these days. The way they are pushing everything toward Google+ that makes me little cautious to move to Google Drive (I feel sad for my Picasa). Moreover, Google Drive is not publicly available yet, so it is too yearly to bet all my files on behalf of a beta product. Well I can do something interesting. I installed Google Drive and create a Dropbox folder inside it. Now moved my previously configured Dropbox folder into the new Dropbox folder. So now my Dropbox synchronizes everything I have in my Dropbox and Google Drive synchronizes everything inside the Dropbox folder and few mores (those are in siblings of my dropbox folder). In this way if something unexpected happen to my Google drive my dropbox still have those files. I hope Dropbox would not die pretty soon. Good luck Dropbox!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, no abusive word, no spam.