Sunday, February 12, 2012

Photography: A hobby

Photography is an expensive hobby? Why? You don't have to buy anything to take a new picture. This is not old film days; to take a picture all we need to do is point and shoot. So why is it expensive? Somehow to hobbyist it become gear oriented. Interestingly no one ever confess that this is so much gear oriented for hobbyist. Some of them are even in denial. They believe they can take good picture out of nothing.

I am computer programmer, my biggest hobby is coding. I don't hate computer. I never even claim I can make a program out of nothing. I don't know any programmer did. Why the photographers? One interesting explanation could they belief Photography is an art and being can artist they cannot rely on a technology too much. Anyway it's a classic debate of art and technology and I don't want to go in this direction. My point in all photographers owe to the technology and they should acknowledge it.

I have came across numerous vlogger claiming they will do a photo shoot with simply an iPhone. Well that's great why do you need all fancy stuff then? Well, most of them would probably agree because that will make their life little easier. huh! If I ask a photographer to take a picture of bokeh; they simply cannot do that with iPhone because it does not have enough depth of field. So what is the point of iPhone photography! Yes you can take certain kind of picture with iPhone and all they do is shoot that kind of photo with iPhone and try to establish they are great photographer all by themselves! huh! poor guys don't even know what they are claiming. There are all sort of things in all sort of purpose. 

If I ask a photographer to take a picture of the surface of the moon; is it possible without proper lens! Nah, why do they claim that gear doesn't matter then. If ask them take a picture of a honey bee, could they do it without macro? I mean there are numerous gear for numerous reason and all have a purpose. Yes I agree may they don't need the best quality product. Well that's the case in every aspect of life. Any dress can serve the purpose but better dresses make us prettier. I never heard of anyone saying: you know in't not the dress, I can make it out of nothing. Poor photographers don't know what they are saying. 

The hobbyists are worse. At the beginning most of them don't know what they want to do. So they buy even more stuff to do more things. Believe me not all kind of photography is everyone' forte, later they specialized on something and gears they bought before remain useless. And they late bravely comment, you know what gear doesn't matter! I can do a photography with my pairs of thumbs and index fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, no abusive word, no spam.