Thursday, July 8, 2010

Racism!

Once again racism. Racism is something I am encountering these days! It is not that other people are judging me, it is my friends(!) are judging other people. Very funny but true. Personally I hate racism, it hurts me when my friends say, stay away from race "X". A decent number of my friends are here in Norman now and unfortunately I have heard most racist comments from them. I don't know why but it hurts me. I hate racism. Segregating people is the last thing I would accept.

Racists are narcissists. Today they are segregating based on your color, tomorrow when everyone would have same color they will segregate based on something else, then something else, and so on. Human beings are social animal, and probably the worst byproduct of being a social being is racism. Its a shame for human civilization if we can't overcome such a small shortcoming. I have heard hundreds time that my friends are judged by their race; I know its true but to me that cannot be a justification of being racist. Racism is an ancient thing. It is taught in family and society, no one born with it.

4 comments:

  1. I think I don't have a very clear idea of what racism means (in a bad sense). I think we often mistakenly mix racism with the common human nature of generalizing out of example. Human being always tend to make general rules out of his gathered knowledge. What I know about what racism means (in a bad sense) is to tag a person with some common characteristics based on his racial origin (It is like saying that, people from place X are shrewd and always tend to harm others). But really, is identifying a person by his physical characteristics really fall into racial slur? Is it really a racist comment if I say that I met a "black" person today? Here I am referring to that person as black because I dont know his national origin - he can be from any country where people have black complexion.
    I think most of the comments that we make inadvertently, falls in this gray area, Where I am trying to refer to a person based on his physical characteristics, but I am misunderstood to be making a racist comment. because If I refer to a person by his skin color, then "that rather short guy" or "that dark skinned guy" should also fall into that gray area of racist comments and misunderstood someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it would be of course a racist comment if someone tries to refer to a person by tagging him to a race to express some hidden malicious connotation. And most of us do that. I agree to that point.

    But there is another thing we have to understand that the place or the race that your friends have come from, has not yet adopted to the fact that racism is bad. And your friends have migrated to a new place, where racism is a pretty serious thing. So, maybe it will take a while for them to become cautious about their comments on other people (they have never practiced that back in where they lived, because it was not visible there). Maybe they need some time to reorganize their thoughts before they can grow more and more careful about discarding those hidden connotations and eventually totally get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @যাযাবর: I would love to hear an example of (good) racism.

    ReplyDelete

Please, no abusive word, no spam.